Skip to main content

The Adelphi Theatre

 

The Old Adelphi Theatre


-Greetings, 

    Yesterday, I visited the old site of the Adelphi Theatre in Edinburgh. It burned down in 1854. Today is Sunday and I enjoyed the experience of High Tea. It was almost like an indoor picnic. I had different hot and cold foods, tea, and wine. Even though this is considering an activity for high-society, I helped myself to my own food and drinks because it is Sunday, and the servants are not in. 

    In addition to High Tea, I engaged in learning some embroidery from my host. She taught me white-on-white embroidery and I made my own piece of underclothing. It has been so captivating to see Victorian England. I have witnessed the differences among gender and class here. It is interesting to have read Mrs. Beeton's book about the roles of women and then enjoy High Tea and embroidery with my kind host. I have learned so much during this trip and I am sad to have to leave. I am excited to see where else I will travel to in the future. 


Bibliography

Salisbury, Joyce E. and Andrew E. Kersten. "Entertainment in Victorian England." In Daily Life through HistoryABC-CLIO, 2023. Accessed August 6, 2023. https://dailylife2-abc-clio-com.eznvcc.vccs.edu/Topics/Display/1426828?sid=1426937&cid=103&subId=1426828&useConcept=False.

Salisbury, Joyce E. and Andrew E. Kersten. "Food & Drink in Victorian England." In Daily Life through HistoryABC-CLIO, 2023. Accessed August 6, 2023. https://dailylife2-abc-clio-com.eznvcc.vccs.edu/Topics/Display/1426828?sid=1426844&cid=100&subId=1426828&useConcept=False.

Walford, Edward. “The Old Adelphi Theatre.” The Victorian Web, 2022. https://victorianweb.org/mt/theaters/adelphi.html.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Epsom Derby

  Derby Day at Epsom racecourse, Epsom Downs, Surrey, England -Greetings,       I had so much fun today! It was Derby Day! I wore a pretty long dress with a matching hat that I had packed specifically for this event. I was lucky to be able to attend as a guest of a highly respected woman at the Grand Stand. The Derby is a race for 3-year-old horses and is held at the Epsom Downs racetrack in Surrey. Derby Day is so highly regarded that it is an unofficial holiday and even Parliament doesn't conduct business. The Epsom Downs course is a large and green plain with three public stands, several small stands, tents, hundreds of shops, a multitude of carriages, and plenty of temporary stables set up.       The British people anticipate The Derby every year and have been preparing all week for the event and been betting on it for months. There had to of been at least 200,000 people out at The Derby today, if not more. Most of those in attendance were dressed in their best summer outfits,

The Albert Memorial

  The Albert Memorial -Greetings,      I started my morning off with a muffin and water I had previously boiled. I went to Kensington Gardens where I visited the beautiful Albert Memorial today. There were so many people visiting the area as well. The memorial is located near the southern entrance of the Royal Albert Hall. The monument is a wonderful example of Victorian Gothic and neo-Gothic styles combined. Prince Albert died back in 1861 when he was only 42 years old, leaving Queen Victoria to grieve his loss tremendously. She still has his clothes laid out daily and takes photos with a marble bust of him. After 10 years of battling, Queen Victoria finally commissioned the Albert Memorial. The monument both celebrates British progress and speaks the language of mourning. In the center of the memorial lies a golden statue of Prince Albert. The figures at the four corners symbolize manufacturing and commerce. The structure of the monument itself wouldn't have been possible if it w